Our guests are Trev Keane, Director Esports Strategy: EPIC Global and Advisor/Judge at Stadia Ventures, and Cholwe Shabukali, Co- Founder and Managing Director at Team Gematrix and a Zambian Esports Pioneer.
Our discussion includes:
Cholwe’s background including how being selected for an accelerator program at BongoHive started her on turning a passion into a business.
Trev’s background recalling how “games were part of our lives” as he grew up in Ireland.
- Cultural barriers impacting women in Africa joining the esports industry
- “How do you eat an elephant?”
- What is a “challenger brand” and a “hero brand” in sponsorship?
- Discovering where the brands are on their esports journey
- The value of working with sponsorship agencies
- What does the typical timeframe look like for a sponsorship deal?
- Be patient: “Your urgency is not their urgency”
- Understanding brand budgeting cycles
- What sources of investment are most common in Europe and Africa
- The number one piece of advice: “Understand your value”
- Investigate accelerators in your market for business advice as well as for potential investors
- Understand your community and bring that awareness to potential investors
- How to develop a merchandising plan with the right objectives: fun and value
- Community driven input in your merchandising program
- Trev: “Think long term.”
- Cholwe: “Be aggressively patient.”
Episode Webpage: https://www.gamerschangelivespodcast.com/esports-sponsorship-investment-and-merchandising-with-cholwe-shabukali-and-trev-keane
* * *
FEATURED IN THIS EPISDOE:
Trev Keane, Director Esports Strategy: EPIC Global and Advisor/Judge at Stadia Ventures.
EPIC Global: https://www.linkedin.com/company/epic-global-agency-esports-gaming/
Stadia Ventures: http://www.stadiaventures.com/
Cholwe Shabukali is co-owner and managing director of Team Gematrix, Zambia's pioneer esports organization, her organization has a record of multiple sub-Saharan African championships and presence across 3 continents.
She was listed as the top 100 game changers by unreal engine in 2020. She is also the current interim Secretary General for the Esports Federation of Zambia.
Team Gematrix: https://gematrix.co/
* * *
Please subscribe to our podcast wherever you are listening to this episode.
Leave us a rating and a review if you like our content for others to discover what we are doing.
And tell your friends!
CONNECT WITH US ELSEWHERE:
Visit our website at https://www.gamerschangelivespodcast.com/ to learn more about our program, our blog, and sign up for our emails to be notified of upcoming episodes.
Creator and host: Tom Leonard (USA) - https://www.linkedin.com/in/tomeleonard/
Producer: Reginald Nsowah (Ghana) - https://www.linkedin.com/in/reginald-nsowah-09352929/
ABOUT THE SHOW:
Play Games. Create Jobs. Change Lives.
This is a show about how to build an esports business from literally anywhere in the world where each week we showcase the journey of esports entrepreneurs and others to learn how they solved a particular problem that everyone will ultimately face.
In Season Two our theme is “Follow the Money”.
I am your host, Tom Leonard. I have a background in entertainment marketing. After working with many amazing esports entrepreneurs from emerging markets, they inspired me to create a show to tell their stories so that others can be motivated to create their own esports business. Gaming and esports can create jobs tackling the problem of global youth unemployment. Creating jobs from playing games. What could be better than that?
Thanks for listening to The Gamers Change Lives Podcast!
To leave or reply to comments, please download free Podbean or
To leave or reply to comments,
please download free Podbean App.